- "The future of cities and possibilities of Shibuya"
- On Saturday, March 19th, 2016, FUTURE CATALYSTS hosted an event that examines the future of cities called "Pop up Ars Electronica POST CITY@Shibuya". The city chosen for the event was Shibuya, a perfect example of a city that is developing to flourish in 2020.
- How can you love your "city" more five years from now?
- “TOTTORI GEIJU FESTIVAL” raised its curtain for 5 months for the second time in June of 2015, holding events and exhibitions at 12 locations within Tottori Prefecture with an aim to find a way to acquire rich life through “living with art (GEIJU is a portmanteau word from “geijutsu (art)” and “ju (living)”. In November, FUTURE CATALYSTS held FC Platz, a workshop at AIR475’s main activity platform called Kyusuesugutaiyodo located in Yonago, centering “POST CITY YONAGO –Let’s talk about the future of Yonago -” as the topic of its session.
- The key to opening the future is the relationship of trust between people and technology.
- Can human beings ever truly build a relationship of trust with technology? This question serves as an important key in the development of technology.For example, the technology of automotive cars has developed so much as to be implemented into real life, but legal and psychological problems intrude.
- Creating “Post City Kit – necessities for the future city” using art thinking.
- How should we think and what should we prepare to make future “city” a better place? As the main program of Ars Electronica Festival 2015 - POST CITY - Habitats of the 21st Century, FUTURE CATALTSTS hosted Future Innovators Summit (hereafter referred to as FIS) to discuss about future “city”.
- A “PLAYFUL” perspective as a mean of heightening social resilience.
- Natural disasters that occur without notice, endless refugee issues that increase in developing countries, and civic problems that arise with the development of technologies. These are challenges that we will unchangingly face in our future society.
- What kind of “Post City Kits” should future Tokyo have?
- FUTURE CATALYSTS has established “Post City Kit Initiative”, a movement involving innovators from all over the world to create intriguing ideas, strategies, and tools to make future “city” (=Post City) a better place.
- "Social commons (shared place within a community)", a new concept for convenient stores
- Convenience stores have long evolved by strictly seeking for convenience, and they are the key factor in creating a landscape unique to Japan.
- Creating a new form of stationery which inspires co-working
- Tools and stationeries have long contributed in withdrawing human creativities. Then how can digital technology stimulate human creativity in the ages to come?
- What can be done to regain "balance" between Tokyo and the rural area?
- It has been announced that 896 cities and towns within Japan will face extinction by 2040, and 60% of Japanese land will be emptied by 2050 due to declining in population.
- Designing a public space where people can intuitively feel connected to the community
- To whom does a city belong to? Is it yours? Is it everyone’s? How could a public space that is both yours and everyone’s be created? In this session, FUTURE CATALYSTS created a prototype of a new public space from the perspective of media art and architecture inviting artists and architects as discussion members.
- Can "drone" be utilized as a mean of a new social infrastructure?
- What if three-dimensional images could be drawn in the night sky? The word Spaxels is a portmanteau word from "space" and "pixels", and is a structure to visualize enormous figures in midair using multiples of LED-equipped drones.
- Let's create Tokyo's new tourist information center
- "I am in Tokyo but I don't know where the gateway is", "it's hard to get a grasp of the entire view of Tokyo", "the beauty of the city is not easily recognizable, because I feel suddenly thrown into the commercial area right after I am off the subway".
- "POST CITY – Habitats for the 21st Century"
- The "city", it would appear, is humankind's most successful survival strategy, and still our greatest social experiment. To achieve better living, we have created various means of livelihood, tools, service, and system using most up-to-date technologies in each era of the past.
- Let's find ways to invent the future. Hosting "Future Innovator's Summit"
- In September 2014, FUTURE CATALYSTS hosted "Future Innovators Summit", the main program at Ars Electronica Festival 2014 (Sep.4th-8th).